Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) was established to attract and keep world-class doctoral students with the aim of making Canada a global center of excellence in higher education and research. These scholarships can be used towards an advanced doctoral degree (or the combination of MD/Ph.D. and MA).
Canadian Universities that have Vanier CGS allotment.
In all cases, the Vanier CGS is only tenable at the qualified Canadian institution that has submitted the nomination.
Level/Field(s) for study
Ph.D. programs in research in health; engineering or natural sciences research, and social sciences or humanities research (MD/Ph.D. or MA/Ph.D.).
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level for completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs (JGRPs) with a professional level (e.g., MD/Ph.D. JD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D.) in addition to studies geared towards clinical research such as clinical psychology, are also eligible for a critical, independent research component, as mentioned above.
Number of Scholarships Allocations Available:
A total of 166 scholarships are offered each year
Scholarship Target Groups:
Canadian citizens and citizens of permanent residence in Canada, and foreign citizens can be considered for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
The award is $30,000 per year over three years.
Who Are Eligible To Apply?
To be considered as a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship candidate, you must:
- have been nominated in just one Canadian organization and must have been granted a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship quote;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a significant research component). Be aware this only applies to the Ph.D. part of a combined degree that is qualified to be funded;
- be planning to pursue, during the summer or in the academic year after the announcement of the results, full-time doctoral (or joint graduate programs like MD/Ph.D. JD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D.) research and studies at the institution that nominated you. Please note that it is only the doctoral component of a degree combination that is eligible for funding
- have completed not more than twenty weeks of studies for doctoral degrees by 1st May 2023.
- have completed not more than 32 consecutive months of full-time studies in their doctoral programs before 1st May 2023 if:
- Students enrolled in the joint graduate study program, e.g., an MD/Ph.D. MA/Ph.D. or DVM/Ph.D. The applicants who fall under this group can access the 32-month window, regardless of whether or not they previously studied in a Master’s degree program, or
- It is possible to accelerate directly from a Bachelor’s degree to the level of a Ph.D. (no need to go through the Master’s program) or
- Acceleration of a Master’s Degree to the Doctoral program without having a Master’s Degree.
- Have earned an average of first-class according to the criteria set by your institution in the past two full years of education. Candidates are encouraged to speak with the institution to find out the definition of a “first-class average
- should not be a recipient of or held an award of doctoral-level fellowship or scholarship through CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to pursue or earn the doctoral program.
How To Apply:
A Canadian Institution must recommend candidates with a quota of students at the institution they would like to learn. Candidates cannot apply directly for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program.
Applications are made in two methods:
- A student can inform the graduate faculty at the institution they wish to apply to of their intentions to apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. Vanier’s CGS program OR the institution begins the method by communicating with the person who is the ideal candidate.
- The application is prepared by students and submitted to the institution that nominated them within their deadline through the ResearchNet Application System. The institution that nominated the nominees then forwards nominated candidates directly to Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Official Secretariat) before 1st November 2022.
It is crucial to go to this official site http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html for the application form and be aware of the full details on applying for the scholarship.
Don’t forget to drop your comment or inquiries below and subscribe to get first time information on new scholarship opportunities.
Leave a Reply